Myth - Cellulite does not affect young, thin women
Fact - Cellulite affects 85% of women, regardless of age or weight. Cellulite can start right after puberty and many thin and fit women have cellulite
Myth – Cellulite is controlled by weight loss and exercise
Fact – While weight loss and exercise may help these factors, alone cannot control cellulite because the fat that causes cellulite is found in the layer of the skin not the fat of the body. The fat found in the skin cannot be metabolized and used as fuel, which we do when we are losing weight. If we are to improve the appearance of cellulite, we need to focus not on burning fat but on the dermis, the part of the skin where the cellulite causing fat is found.
Myth – Cellulite does not affect men.
Fact – You won’t often notice men with cellulite, but they are out there. Besides hormone differences, male fat cells are shaped differently from women’s and they don’t stretch as easily (as women’s do in order to accommodate pregnancy), so cellulite is not as apparent. When men do have cellulite, it usually appears on their neck or stomach, as opposed to women, who experience it most on their legs, thighs and buttocks.
Check out the cellulite treatments we offer!
So you’ve eaten too many mince pies and drank too much mulled wine, and once again your New Years resolution is to get healthier and fitter, am I right? Well the most common resolution is weight loss, so you’re not alone… but if you want to feel great as well as look good, then you should really conisder some good supplements & products to help you through the process.
Murad offers a fantasitc 8 week Firm & Tone supplement box set that will give you firmer skin by up to 78% in 8 weeks, and improves the visual texture of stretch marks by up to 47% in 8 weeks. If you are changing your diet for the New Year, then these supplements are a great support and will help improve your body from the inside out.
Additional features and ingredients:
- Multivitamin promotes healthy skin function
- Connective Support Complex encourages a smoother appearance and improves elasticity
- Essential Fatty Acids help skin cells attract water
- Cell Energizers help prevent damage while promoting energy production
Murad also offers a brilliant Firm & Tone Serum, and a Body Firming Cream, and if used in conjunction with the supplements then the results are even better! The serum helps reduce cellulite and improves the overall appearance of the skin by up to 80%, while the firming cream firms the skin and increase skin’s elasticity and radiance. Apply the serum first and the cream over the top for optimal results. The best thing about the firming cream as well is that it firms skin by up to 40% in 15 minutes! So that means if you’re going on holiday and want to look great in your swim wear, then apply this before heading to the poolside or beach, and you’ll feel and look great.
For more healthy ways to kick start 2012 check out our Detox Package.
Cellulite is a skin condition that affects between 80-90% of post pubertal females so it is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by. It is commonly found on the tops of the legs, abdomen and also arms. It is caused by a collection of subcutaneous fat that is trapped between the connective tissue layers within the skin, and can be notoriously difficult to treat.
There is not one factor that can produce cellulite, but many. Some included hormonal factors, genetic factors and also problems with the microcirculatory system. It has been proven that a hectic lifestyle with high stress levels can also lead to cellulite. So a woman who has an exceptionally good diet and lifestyle can be a sufferer of cellulite.
Endermologie Lipomassage is a cellulite reduction treatment available at Zen Lifestyle beauty clinics in Edinburgh. It is the only cellulite reduction treatment that has gained US FDA approval. Endermologie is a machine assisted massage system that produces a 100% natural response with the body. During an Endermologie treatment roller heads are passed over the area of concern, and a rolling and lifting action takes place and it is this action that sends a signal deep down to the fat cells to produce a physical response. The 2 independent motorised roller heads on the machine can move in several different directions depending on what the desired objectives of the treatment. Other skin concerns that can also be treated with Endermologie include thin and wrinkled skin, and also fibrous tissues. During an Endermologie treatment the wears an Endermowear suit, which is a body stocking suit specific to LPG Endermologie, in order for the roller heads to be passed over the areas with ease.
The treatment has many benefits to different structures in the skin.
Lymphatic and Venous networks
Endermologie treats problems associated with venal failure such as ‘heavy leg’ sensation and water retention.
The lipomassage treatment naturally boosts the release of fat cells to remove the fat cells.
With LPG’s exclusive patented treatment head, therapists can mobilise targeted muscles in order to help relieve tension and spasms.
Collagen & Elastin Fibres
These vital skin structures provide firmness and flexibility to the skin. Although these fibres decrease with age, the LPG techniques can naturally and gently reactivate their synthesis.
It is recommended that at least a course of 12 treatments (2 treatments per week) are carried out, however each client is individual so during a thorough consultation with one of our experienced therapists more treatments may be recommended to reach the desired results. During the consultation a photographic evaluation and a body analysis is carried out so the most appropriate treatment is delivered. As the treatments are carried out it is important to monitor the results against the objectives that were initially set, so from time to time more photos may be taken. When receiving a course of Endermologie clients are recommended to use do daily body brushing at home to aid the results. Many of our clients have also decided to take the Murad Firm and Tone Dietary supplements programme at to enhance and accelerate the benefits of Endermologie.
Endermologie Lipomassage is available at the Teviot Place and Hanover Street salons in Edinburgh city centre.
Phillipa Vaughan – Senior Therapist, Zen Bruntsfield.
- What is Endermologie? Endermologie is a lipomassage treatment for cellulite reduction. Working on specific areas of concern such as the thighs, glutes, arms and back. It is great as part of a weight loss program, or if you feel you would like to improve the body contour, skin texture and tone and of course reduce the orange peel effect! The treatment works using a machine that has roller and lifting heads which gently pull and lift the skin and tissues, perfectly targeting the different areas of the body based on the principle of mechano-stimulation. Lipomassage stimulates the fibroblasts (firming effect), which breaks down the fat accumulation, smoothes the dimpled aspect of the skin and increases fluid exchanges. Lipomassage is a non-surgical and non-invasive solution for stubborn fat, cellulite and loose sagging skin.
- What is involved in the treatment? The treatment involves the client wearing a skin tight body suit. This helps to protect the skin and allows the rollers to glide more easily over it. Particular areas of concern are then marked out onto the suit after discussing the problem areas with the client during their consultation. This allows the same areas to be treated throughout the course therefore ensuring the best possible results. During the treatment, the client is not expected to do anything other than relax on a heated bed! The treatment lasts for 35 minutes and is performed by a qualified therapist who is in control of the intensity levels. Once the treatment is complete you will be able to carry on your day as normal as there is no down time.
- How often will I need to come to the salon and how many treatments will I need? A minimum of 12 treatments is required however, stubborn cellulite will require more. It is recommended that you have between two and three treatments a week in order to achieve optimal results. It can take up to 10 treatments to start noticing results in the first course. In some cases the appearance can become slightly worse during the initial stages of the course. This is part of the process and is due to the toxins being drawn to the surface.
- Is the treatment painful? Initially the treatment can feel slightly uncomfortable however, as the course progresses and the areas of cellulite become improved, the treatment can feel more like a deep tissue massage. At this stage most clients begin to enjoy it and find it quite relaxing.